How do I set up my R300WN22OP5 as an access point for a wired network?
You can use the R300WN22OP5 to create a wireless network for an existing wired network by setting it up in Access Point (AP) mode.
To set up the R300WN22OP5 in AP mode, you require the following:
- A network infrastructure or network device that is TCP/IP compliant.
- A computer with a wired Ethernet connection.
- Two Ethernet patch cables.
If the R300WN22OP5 is not brand new or the settings were previously changed, you should complete a factory reset. For more information about how to complete a factory reset, refer to the following FAQ: https://www.startech.com/faq/networking_r300wn22op5_factory_reset.
To set up the R300WN22OP5 in AP mode, complete the steps under the three headings below.
Connect the R300WN22OP5
- Remove the plastic panel from the bottom of the R300WN22OP5.
- Connect the provided power adapter to the POE injector.
- Connect an Ethernet patch cable to the POE injector and the R300WN22OP5.
- If the R300WN22OP5 is not receiving power, move the Ethernet cable to the other RJ45 port.
- Connect an Ethernet cable to the LAN port on the POE injector and to your computer system.
Wait 30 seconds for the unit to finish restarting before you make any configuration changes.
Set your computer to the same network as the R300WN22OP5
The default IP address of the Access Point is 192.168.1.200, so the computer needs to have an address of 192.168.1.xxx where xxx is a number between 0 and 255, but not 200 (e.g. 192.168.1.1) or any other IP address in use.
For more information about how to change the IP address on your computer, refer to the following FAQ for your operating system: How do I change my IP address in [your operating system]?
Configure and restart the R300WN22OP5
Make sure that your computer is on the 192.168.1.xxx network, and complete the following:
- Open a web browser (for example, Internet Explorer).
- In the address bar, type http://192.168.1.200.
- In the username and password fields, type admin.
- Set the Mode to Access Point.
- Click the Setup icon or click Change Mode.
- If required, change any of the settings.
- Set a Service Set Identifier (SSID). The SSID is the displayed name of the AP and is what you will connect to.
- To add wireless security (for example, WPA), beside Security Setting, click Setup. On the window that opens, change the encryption and add a password (or Pre-Shared Key) to your network.
- When you are done changing the settings, click Save & Restart.
- Set your computer back to the original IP configuration.
- Plug your existing wired network into the LAN port of the AP or POE injector.