USB-C Hard Drive Enclosure for 2.5" SATA SSD / HDD - USB 3.1 10Gbps - for S251BU31REM
Turn a 2.5" SATA HDD/SSD into a portable storage solution over USB 3.1 Gen 2, compatible for use with the S251BU31REM hot-swap bay
Product ID: S251BU31REMD
- Spare 2.5" hard drive enclosure for the S251BU31REM hot-swap bay
- Access your data offline with a portable USB 3.1 (10Gbps) drive enclosure
- One USB-C to Micro-USB cable and one USB-A to Micro-USB cable included for compatibility with your USB-C and USB-A laptop
This USB 3.1 (10Gbps) hard drive enclosure is a spare SATA drive enclosure for use with the StarTech.com S251BU31REM Hot-Swap Hard Drive Bay for 2.5" SATA SSD/HDD.
Add swappable storage capability
This SATA to USB enclosure can be used as an extra hard drive enclosure for the hot-swap bay in order to provide multiple enclosures that can be swapped in and out of a main computer system. It’s perfect for adding drives for backup rotations, and data recovery strategies.
Take your data with you
If you need access to your data outside of the office, you can use the enclosure as a standard USB 3.1 (10Gbps) enclosure -- a powerful external storage solution when you need access to your files while you’re on the road.
The enclosure includes a Micro-USB to USB-A and a Micro-USB to USB-C cable, so you can plug the enclosure into your laptop and access your data anywhere you go.
The S251BU31REMD is backed by a StarTech.com 2-year warranty and free lifetime technical support.
- Use multiple drives with the same S251BU31REM installation for archiving or rotating backups
- Professionals working with very large files who need to transport them between computers and different locations
- Business professionals who need first hand access to their data while travelling
|Bus Type||USB 3.1 Gen 2|
|Chipset ID||ASMedia - ASM1351|
|Compatible Drive Types||SATA|
|USB 3.1 Gen 2|
|Number of Drives||1|
|Supported Drive Height(s)||5mm|
|Max Drive Capacity||Currently tested with hard drives up to 2TB at 7200 RPM.|
|Maximum Data Transfer Rate||10Gbps|
|Type and Rate||USB 3.1 Gen 2 - 10 Gbit/s|
|SATA III (6 Gbps)|
|Drive Connectors||1 - SATA Data & Power Combo (7+15 pin) Receptacle|
|Host Connectors||1 - SATA Data & Power Combo (7+15 pin) Plug|
|1 - USB 3.0 Micro-B (10 pin, SuperSpeed) Female|
|OS Compatibility||OS independent; No software or drivers required|
|Special Notes / Requirements|
|Note||Windows 7 and earlier Windows versions do not support TRIM with USB to SATA devices.|
|LED Indicators||1 - Power(Green)|
|1 - Activity(Red)|
|Humidity||Operation Humidity: 10% ~ 90% RH
Storage Humidity: 5% ~ 95% RH
|Operating Temperature||0°C to 40°C (32°F to 104°F)|
|Storage Temperature||-10°C to 65°C (14°F to 149°F)|
|Enclosure Type||Aluminum and Plastic|
|Max Drive Height||9.5 mm [0.4 in]|
|Product Height||1.6 cm [0.6 in]|
|Product Length||13.3 cm [5.2 in]|
|Product Width||79.1 mm [3.1 in]|
|Weight of Product||122 g [4.3 oz]|
|Package Height||40 mm [1.6 in]|
|Package Length||18.7 cm [7.4 in]|
|Package Width||15.5 cm [6.1 in]|
|Shipping (Package) Weight||0.3 kg [0.6 lb]|
|What's in the Box|
|Included in Package||1 - 2.5” SATA enclosure|
|1 - USB-C to Micro-B cable|
|1 - USB-A to Micro-B cable|
|1 - set of drive-mounting hardware|
|1 - quick-start guide|
Use the front bay of your desktop computer or server as a hot-swap drive bay
Turn a 2.5" SATA HDD/SSD into an external SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Hard Drive/Solid State Drive
The high-speed, high-capacity data storage solution you’ve been waiting for – with USB 3.1 Gen 2
Create a fast and portable data storage solution for your USB Type-C enabled laptop
Turn your mSATA or mSATA Mini drive into a portable, high performance storage solution over USB 3.1 Gen 2
Add fast and portable data storage to your USB Type-C enabled MacBook, Chromebook Pixel, or laptop
Turn two 2.5" SATA SSDs or HDDs into high-performance storage with RAID - for USB-C and USB-A enabled devices
Get ready for ultra-fast USB 3.1 Gen 2 data storage using your 2.5” SSD or HDD
Turn your M.2 SATA drive into an ultra-fast, ultra-portable storage solution for USB-C enabled devices
Quickly access and back up the data from your USB-C or USB-A enabled device, through ultra-fast USB 3.1 Gen 2
Access data stored on your 2.5” SATA SSD/HDD, with support for high-capacity drives up to 15mm
Turn two M.2 SATA drives into ultra-fast, portable storage with RAID for increased performance or redundancy
Get the faster speed of USB 3.1 Gen 2 in a lightweight and portable storage solution
Create high performance external storage with a dual SATA HDD RAID array, through USB 3.1 (10Gbps)
Use the front bay of your desktop computer or server as a hot-swap drive bay
Connect your Micro-B USB 3.0 devices, with this high-quality USB 3.0 certified cable
Connect USB Micro-B devices to your USB Type-C host with reduced clutter
Frequently Asked Questions
Before You Buy
Hard drive enclosures require power from your system's USB port. Although you can plug in any standard SATA drive, USB ports only supply a limited amount of power and are not able to power all of the hard drives plugged into the system.
The power capabilities of the USB port combined with the power requirements of the attached hard drive will determine if the hard drive enclosure will work in your setup. The power (in mA) supplied by the USB port must be greater than the requirements of the hard drive.
A USB 2.0 port can supply a maximum of 500 mA (0.5 A), and a USB 3.0 port can supply a maximum of 900 mA (0.9 A).
You can usually find the power requirements of your hard drive in the technical specifications on the label of the hard drive or on the manufacturer's website.
Yes, this device supports the TRIM command. If the OS issues a TRIM command, the command will be passed to the connected device.
To determine if your hard drive will work in this enclosure, on the product page, click the Technical Specifications tab, and do the following:
- Make sure that the enclosure supports the storage size of your hard drive. If the storage size of your hard drive is larger than what the enclosure was tested with, the hard drive will likely still work with the enclosure.
- Confirm that your hard drive uses the same interface type as the enclosure. For example, IDE, SATA, or M.2.
- Make sure that the enclosure supports the physical size of your hard drive, such as 2.5 inches or 3.5 inches.
- Make sure that the enclosure supports the height of your hard drive. For example, 9 mm or 15 mm.
- Verify that the power consumption of your hard drive doesn’t exceed the power output of the enclosure. If you’re using multiple hard drives, make sure that the combined power consumption of all of the hard drives doesn’t exceed the power output of the enclosure.
USB 3.1 is the most recent version of the USB (Universal Serial Bus) standard for connecting computers and electronic devices. It is capable of data transfer speeds up to 10Gbps, and while it can use the USB-C connector type, it can also use a variety of other connector types. To achieve USB 3.1 transfer speeds, your USB host connection, cables, and device must all support USB 3.1. USB 3.1 is also known as USB 3.1 Gen 2 (10Gbps).
USB 3.0 is capable of data transfer speeds up to 5Gbps. USB 3.0 is also known as USB 3.1 Gen 1 (5Gbps).
USB 3.1 is backwards compatible with USB 3.0 and USB 2.0, except in the following scenarios:
- USB-B 3.1 cables are not compatible with USB-B 2.0 ports.
- Unless you use an adapter, USB-C ports or cables will not work with USB-A or USB-B ports or cables.
- Devices that require USB 3.1 transfer speeds of 10Gbps might not work with USB 3.0 or USB 2.0, or you might experience lower transfer speeds and impacted performance.
- Bus-powered USB devices that requires more power than what USB 2.0 can provide are not compatible with USB 2.0.
To transfer data at speeds of 10Gbps, you need to confirm that the following components in your setup support USB 3.1:
- The USB host connection
- The USB cable
- The USB device and any subcomponents (for example, a hard drive docking station and the hard drives in the docking station)
Note: USB 3.1 is also known as USB 3.1 Gen 2 (10Gbps). Devices that support USB 3.1 should have the USB 3.1 symbol on them. If the USB 3.1 symbol does not appear on your USB source or device, refer to the information provided by the manufacturer to confirm whether the USB source or device support USB 3.1.
The included USB cable for this USB 3.1 Gen 2 device has been tested and verified to perform at USB 3.1 Gen 2 speeds of 10Gbps.
Compliance and Safety
- If product has an exposed circuit board, do not touch the product under power.
- If Class 1 Laser Product. Laser radiation is present when the system is open.
- Wiring terminations should not be made with the product and/or electric lines under power.
- Product installation and/or mounting should be completed by a certified professional as per the local safety and building code guidelines.
- Cables (including power and charging cables) should be placed and routed to avoid creating electric, tripping or safety hazards.
* Product appearance and specifications are subject to change without notice.