How do I set up my AP150WN1X1OD as an access point for a wired network?
The AP150WN1X1OD can be set up to create a wireless network for an existing wired network, which is called Access Point (AP) mode.
The following is required to set up the unit in AP mode:
- A network infrastructure or network device that is TCP/IP compliant.
- A computer with a wired Ethernet connection.
- Two Ethernet patch cables.
If the unit is not brand new or there are previous settings saved on the unit, you need to complete a factory reset before you can proceed. For more information about factory resets, refer to the following FAQ: http://www.startech.com/faq/networking_ap150wn1x1od_factory_reset.
Connect the AP150WN1X1OD
To set up the unit, you need to connect the AP150WN1X1OD using a wired Ethernet cable.
- Remove the plastic panel from the bottom of the AP150WN1X1OD.
- Connect the power adapter to the POE injector.
- Connect an Ethernet cable to the POE injector and the AP150WN1X1OD. The AP150WN1X1OD should be receiving power. If it is not, move the Ethernet cable to the other port.
- Connect the Ethernet cable from the LAN port on the POE injector to your computer.
- When you are done configuring the AP150WN1X1OD, reattach the plastic panel.
Wait 30 seconds for the unit to restart before you make any configuration changes.
Configure the software
To make changes to the configuration, you need to make sure that your computer is on the same network as the AP150WN1X1OD. By default, the access point assigns your computer an IP address that is on the 192.168.1.XXX network.
If you are having issues accessing the Wireless Access Point, you may need to manually set the IP address. For more information, refer to the following FAQ as appropriate for your operating system: How do I change my IP address in [your operating system]?
The default IP address of the access point is 192.168.1.200, which means that the computer needs to have an address similar to 192.168.1.[XXX], where [XXX] is a number between 1 and 255, but is not 200 (for example, 192.168.1.1).
Use the web configuration
Make sure that your computer is on the 192.168.1.XXX network and complete the following:
- Open a web browser.
- In the address bar, type http://192.168.1.200.
- In the username and password fields, type admin.
- Click the Start button at the bottom of the screen to begin the Setup Wizard.
- To turn on AP mode, complete the steps in the Setup Wizard. Make sure that you add your preference for wireless SSID (what the unit will be identified as over Wi-Fi), security, and password.
When the Setup Wizard is finished, do the following:
- If any modifications were made, set your computer back to the original IP configuration.
- Plug your wired network into the LAN port of the AP or POE injector.
Your AP150WN1X1OD will now host the wired network over Wi-Fi.