Hot-Swap Hard Drive Bay for 2.5" SATA SSD / HDD - USB 3.1 (10Gbps) Enclosure
Use the front bay of your desktop computer or server as a hot-swap drive bay
Product ID: S251BU31REM
- Hot-swap your 2.5" SSD and HDD drives
- Unique enclosure style design provides the option to use as an internal mobile rack or an external USB 3.1 enclosure
- Access your data offline with a portable USB 3.1 (10Gbps) drive enclosure
This hot-swap hard drive bay turns your 2.5" SATA hard drive or solid-state drive into a removable drive that you can use as a regular external USB 3.1 enclosure.
Hot swap your SATA storage
Mount the removable SATA drive bay into any 3.5" or 5.25" front bay, to provide a hot-swappable mobile rack. This makes it easy to install and remove the drive from the computer system without having to open the case every time, and provides a more convenient way to create backups that you can remove for data recovery and archiving.
Make your data portable
If you need access to your data outside of the office, you can use the enclosure portion as a standard USB 3.1 (10Gbps) enclosure -- a powerful external storage solution when you need access to your files while you’re on the road.
Simply eject the enclosure from the bay for portable data storage. Its lightweight, compact design makes it easy to tuck into a laptop bag or carrying case. The enclosure includes a Micro-USB to USB-A and a Micro-USB to USB-C cable, so you can plug the enclosure into your laptop and access your data anywhere you go.
Add scalability to your storage
For even more versatility, StarTech.com offers the S251BU31REMD, an extra 2.5" SATA Drive Enclosure for the S251BU31REM, providing multiple enclosures that can be swapped in and out of the main computer.
The S251BU31REM backed by a StarTech.com 2-year warranty and free lifetime technical support.
- Add a hot-swap bay to a server or workstation computer, for a removable data backup solution
- Switch between fast internal storage and portable external storage
- Environments where storage drives need to be replaced and removed regularly
|Bus Type||USB 3.1 Gen 2|
|Chipset ID||ASMedia - ASM1351|
|Compatible Drive Types||SATA|
|Front Door Key Lock||No|
|USB 3.1 Gen 2|
|Number of Drives||1|
|Supported Drive Height(s)||5mm|
|Max Drive Capacity||Currently tested with hard drives up to 2TB at 7200 RPM.|
|Maximum Data Transfer Rate||10Gbps|
|Type and Rate||USB 3.1 Gen 2 - 10 Gbit/s|
|SATA III (6 Gbps)|
|Drive Connectors||1 - SATA Data & Power Combo (7+15 pin) Receptacle|
|Host Connectors||1 - USB 3.1 USB Type Micro-B (10 pin, Gen 2, 10 Gbps) Female|
|1 - SATA (7 pin, Data) Plug|
|1 - SP4 (4 pin, Small Drive Power) Male|
|OS Compatibility||OS independent; No software or drivers required|
|Special Notes / Requirements|
|Note||Windows 7 and earlier Windows versions do not support TRIM with USB to SATA devices.|
|System and Cable Requirements||Available 3.5" or 5.25" front bay|
|Available internal SATA data connector|
|Available SATA or LP4 Molex internal power connector|
|LED Indicators||1 - Power(Green)|
|1 - Activity(Red)|
|Humidity||Operation Humidity: 10% ~ 90% RH
Storage Humidity: 5% ~ 95% RH
|Operating Temperature||0°C to 40°C (32°F to 104°F)|
|Storage Temperature||-10°C to 65°C (14°F to 149°F)|
|Enclosure Type||Aluminum and Plastic|
|Max Drive Height||9.5 mm [0.4 in]|
|Product Height||4.2 cm [1.6 in]|
|Product Length||15.5 cm [6.1 in]|
|Product Width||14.6 cm [5.7 in]|
|Weight of Product||426 g [15 oz]|
|Package Height||79 mm [3.1 in]|
|Package Length||23.9 cm [9.4 in]|
|Package Width||15.7 cm [6.2 in]|
|Shipping (Package) Weight||715 g [25.2 oz]|
|What's in the Box|
|Included in Package||1 - 2.5” SATA enclosure|
|1 - 3.5” front-panel drive bay|
|1 - 3.5” to 5.25” front bay adapter bracket|
|1 - SATA data cable|
|1 - SATA power cable|
|1 - Molex power cable|
|1 - USB-C to Micro-B cable|
|1 - USB-A to Micro-B cable|
|1 - set of drive-mounting hardware|
|4 - bay-mounting screws|
|4 - bracket-mounting screws|
|1 - quick-start guide|
Easy, trayless removal and insertion of dual 2.5in SATA hard drives from single 3.5in bay
246+ In stock
Hot-swap any 3.5in SATA hard drive easily from any computer with a 5.25in bay
809+ In stock
Swap SATA hard drives in and out of a PC or server, quickly and securely
The high-speed, high-capacity data storage solution you’ve been waiting for – with USB 3.1 Gen 2
124+ In stock
Create a fast and portable data storage solution for your USB Type-C enabled laptop
181+ In stock
Turn your mSATA or mSATA Mini drive into a portable, high performance storage solution over USB 3.1 Gen 2
5+ In stock
Add fast and portable data storage to your USB Type-C enabled MacBook, Chromebook Pixel, or laptop
132+ In stock
Turn two 2.5" SATA SSDs or HDDs into high-performance storage with RAID - for USB-C and USB-A enabled devices
47+ In stock
Get ready for ultra-fast USB 3.1 Gen 2 data storage using your 2.5” SSD or HDD
225+ In stock
Turn your M.2 SATA drive into an ultra-fast, ultra-portable storage solution for USB-C enabled devices
305+ In stock
Quickly access and back up the data from your USB-C or USB-A enabled device, through ultra-fast USB 3.1 Gen 2
Access data stored on your 2.5” SATA SSD/HDD, with support for high-capacity drives up to 15mm
166+ In stock
Get the faster speed of USB 3.1 Gen 2 in a lightweight and portable storage solution
102+ In stock
Create high performance external storage with a dual SATA HDD RAID array, through USB 3.1 (10Gbps)
10+ In stock
Turn a 2.5" SATA HDD/SSD into a portable storage solution over USB 3.1 Gen 2, compatible for use with the S251BU31REM hot-swap bay
Connect latching SATA drives while helping to ensure optimal airflow throughout a desktop or server case
Make a right-angled connection to your SATA drive, for installation in tight spaces
386+ In stock
Make a right-angled connection to your SATA drive, for installation in tight spaces
73+ In stock
Connect your Micro-B USB 3.0 devices, with this high-quality USB 3.0 certified cable
125+ In stock
Connect USB Micro-B devices to your USB-C host, using this durable 1-meter cable
375+ In stock
Connect USB Micro-B devices to your USB Type-C host with reduced clutter
295+ In stock
Desktop Front Bay Adapter
1058+ In stock
Add an extra SATA power outlet to your Power Supply
1037+ In stock
Add three extra SATA power outlets to your Power Supply
Power up to two 4-pin LP4hard drives or devices, and a floppy drive, from a single SATA power supply connector
1063+ In stock
Frequently Asked Questions
To confirm that the Mac OS detects your USB device, complete the following:
- Click the Apple icon.
- Click About This Mac.
- Click More Info or System Report.
- Under the appropriate heading, confirm that your USB device is listed and that there isn't an error. For example, a network card would be under Ethernet Cards.
You may need to refresh the System Information page after you plug in your device. To do so, press Command + R with the System Information page open.
Your USB device is listed according to the name of the chipset. To determine the name of the chipset of your USB device, navigate to www.StarTech.com and look on the Technical Specifications tab for your product.
When you troubleshoot issues with a hard drive rack, there are some quick tests that you can complete to rule out potential problems. You can test to make sure that the following components are working correctly and are not the source of the issue:
- SATA and SAS cables
- Hard drives
- Hard drive rack
To test your setup components, try the following:
- Use the cables, hard drives, and hard drive rack in another setup to see if the problem is with the components or the setup.
- Use a different cable, hard drive, and hard drive rack in your setup to see if the problem persists. Ideally, you should test a component that you know works in another setup.
When you test the hard drive and hard drive rack, it is recommended that you do the following:
- To check Disk Management, press the Windows key + R, type diskmgmt.msc, and press Enter. Check to see if your hard drive is listed.
- If the hard drive is listed with unallocated space, it needs to be formatted. Right-click unallocated and click New Simple Volume. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the reformatting.
Note: Formatting a hard drive erases all of the data on it. Make sure that you back up all of your data before you reformat the hard drive.
- If the hard drive is listed as healthy but does not have a drive letter assigned to it, for example, C:, right-click healthy and click Change Drive Letter and Paths. Click Add, assign a drive letter, and click OK.
Note: A formatted hard drive will not show up in Computer or My Computer until it has a drive letter assigned to it.
Yes, this mobile rack does support hot-swapping of SATA drives. To use this feature, it is required that the SATA port is set to Advanced Host Controller Interface (AHCI) mode and hot-swapping is enabled. On most motherboards, this is performed within the Basic Input/Output System (BIOS) or the Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI). If you are using a SATA controller card, consult the motherboard manufacturer's technical documentation for the correct steps to accomplish this.
Compliance and Safety
- If product has an exposed circuit board, do not touch the product under power.
- If Class 1 Laser Product. Laser radiation is present when the system is open.
- Wiring terminations should not be made with the product and/or electric lines under power.
- Product installation and/or mounting should be completed by a certified professional as per the local safety and building code guidelines.
- Cables (including power and charging cables) should be placed and routed to avoid creating electric, tripping or safety hazards.
* Product appearance and specifications are subject to change without notice.