My serial device requires a specific COM port to function, how do I change this in Windows?
Some serial devices require a specific COM port number to function. In these cases, consult the manual of your serial device to determine the correct number to use.
To change the COM port number of a serial device in Device Manager, complete the following:
- Open the Device Manager by pressing the Windows Key + R. Type “devmgmt.msc” and press Enter.
- Expand the Ports (COM & LPT) section.
- Right-click the COM port and select Properties.
- Click the Port Settings tab and click Advanced.
- Change the COM port number to an available COM port number.
Note: Multiple serial ports cannot share the same COM port number.
- Restart your computer.
Note: Even if you change the COM port number back to the original number, you still need to restart your computer.