Why am I not getting Thunderbolt 3 data transfer rates?
If you are not experiencing total bandwidth speeds up to 40Gbps, verify the following:
- You are using a Thunderbolt™ 3 port and not a USB-C port.
- The following components are capable of Thunderbolt 3 speeds:
- The Thunderbolt 3 cable
- The Thunderbolt 3 device
- Any adapters positioned between the Thunderbolt 3 host connection and the Thunderbolt 3 device
- The Thunderbolt 3 host connection
- Data transmission speeds are dependent on the other components that you are using in your setup. If possible, consider removing some of the components in your setup.
Data transfer speeds are impacted by any of the Thunderbolt 3 components you are using. For example, outputting 4K video onto a monitor over the Thunderbolt 3 connection uses a portion of the 40Gbps bandwidth.
Note: A Thunderbolt 3 host device with multiple Thunderbolt 3 connections may not be able to support 40Gbps on each connection simultaneously.
For more information about Thunderbolt 3 and its capabilities, see the following FAQ: https://www.startech.com/faq/thunderbolt-3-port-capabilities.