How do I install my laptop crash cart in Windows Vista / 7 / 8 / 10? (.exe method)
In order to view the computer connected to the laptop crash cart adapter, you must install the software package either from the USB stick or StarTech.com website. The software must be installed prior to using the device on your computer.
You require the following components in your hardware setup:
- A host computer with a female VGA and USB ports. This is the computer that will be controlled.
- A client computer running Windows with an available USB port. This computer will control the host computer.
Install the software
Drivers and software must be installed on the client computer before you connect the components. To install the software, complete the following:
- Download the latest drivers from the StarTech.com website (http://www.startech.com/Support). You can find the part number and product ID on the product packaging.
Note: Windows typically saves the files to the Downloads folder that is associated with your user account (for example, C:\Users\your_name\Downloads).
- When the download is complete, right-click the zip folder that you downloaded, click Extract All, and follow the on-screen instructions.
- In the list of extracted files, navigate to the Windows folder, right-click the Setup.exe file and click Run as Administrator.
Note: If the Run as Administrator option is not available, you might be attempting to run the installer from within the zipped file. Extract the files using the instructions in step 2.
- Follow the on-screen prompts to install the device drivers and software.
Install the hardware
- Connect the USB and VGA cables from the crash cart adapter to the host computer.
- Connect the mini USB cable to the crash cart adapter and the client computer.
Plug in the crash cart adapter and run the USB Crash Cart software. The software automatically detects the settings of the connected computer and shows the display from the computer. When you move the mouse cursor to the display, the keyboard and mouse control is redirected from the client to the host computer.