USB 3.1 (10Gbps) Tool-Free Enclosure for 2.5in SATA SSD/HDD - USB-C
Add fast and portable data storage to your USB Type-C enabled MacBook, Chromebook Pixel, or laptop
Product ID: S251BPU31C3
- Utilize the USB-C port on your laptop or tablet to create portable external storage for a 2.5” SSD/HDD
- Get ultra-fast data transfer rates through USB 3.1 (10Gbps)
- Tool-free design and lightweight enclosure for easy installation and convenient portability
Take your valuable data with you wherever you go. This single drive enclosure for 2.5” SSDs/HDDs lets you utilize the USB-C port on your MacBook, Chromebook Pixel™, Dell™ Latitude 11 5000 Series 2-in-1, or other device to add ultra-fast, ultra-portable data storage.
Tool-free and lightweight for ultimate portability
The enclosure’s compact design and lightweight construction provides a highly portable solution for adding external data storage to any device with USB-C™. It tucks easily into a laptop bag or carrying case for portable storage, and it’s completely tool-free so you can install your drives quickly on the fly. The enclosure is powered directly from the USB port, with no external power required, so there’s no need to carry along an adapter.
Connect with ease through USB-C
The drive enclosure comes with a USB-C to Micro B cable. The USB Type-C connector is small and reversible, which makes for easier insertions. You can connect the USB-C plug quickly with either side facing up, which means less risk of damaging your ports and less frustration.
Maximize the performance of your 2.5” SATA drives
With support for SATA I, II and III and large capacity drives (tested with hard drives up to 2TB), this USB-C enclosure is compatible with virtually any 2.5in. SATA hard drive or solid-state drive. The enclosure delivers USB 3.1 Gen 2 performance with data transfer speeds of up to 10Gbps, letting you leverage the high performance of the latest SSDs and hard drives while alleviating bottlenecks in your data transfers. It’s also enhanced with UASP, which increases read and write speeds, to utilize the full potential of your SATA III drives.
Harness the speed of USB 3.1
USB 3.1 gives you greater bandwidth and speed with file transfer rates of up to 10Gbps - twice the capability of USB 3.0 technology.
The S251BPU31C3 is backed by a StarTech.com 2-year warranty and free lifetime technical support.
- Take advantage of new laptops and tablets that feature a USB-C port and ultra-fast USB 3.1 (10Gbps) connectivity
- Create fast, portable external storage for MacBook, Chromebook Pixel, Dell Latitude 11 5000 Series 2-in-1 and other devices
- Use your SATA SSD/HDDs at maximum speed
- Back up important data to an external storage device
- Share large files between computers quickly and securely without a network
- Retrieve data from an old SATA drive, or turn the unused drive into additional external storage space
|Bus Type||USB 3.1 Gen 2|
|Chipset ID||ASMedia - ASM1351|
|Compatible Drive Types||SATA|
|Interface||USB 3.1 Gen 2|
|Number of Drives||1|
|Max Drive Capacity||Currently tested with hard drives up to 2TB at 7200 RPM|
|Maximum Data Transfer Rate||10 Gbps|
|Type and Rate||USB 3.1 Gen 2 - 10 Gbit/s|
|SATA III (6 Gbps)|
|Drive Connectors||1 - SATA Data & Power Combo (7+15 pin) Female|
|Host Connectors||1 - USB 3.1 USB Type Micro-B (10 pin, Gen 2, 10 Gbps) Female|
|Other Interface(s)||1 - USB Type-C (24 pin) USB 3.1 (10Gbps) Male|
|1 - USB 3.1 USB Type Micro-B (10 pin, Gen 2, 10 Gbps) Male|
|OS Compatibility||OS independent; No software or drivers required|
|Special Notes / Requirements|
|Note||Windows 7 and earlier Windows versions do not support TRIM with USB to SATA devices.|
|LED Indicators||1 - Power & Activity|
|Humidity||Operation Humidity: 10% ~ 90% RH
Storage Humidity: 5% ~ 95% RH
|Operating Temperature||0°C to 40°C (32°F to 104°F)|
|Storage Temperature||-10°C to 65°C (14°F to 149°F)|
|Max Drive Height||9.5 mm [0.4 in]|
|Product Height||1.5 cm [0.6 in]|
|Product Length||13.2 cm [5.2 in]|
|Product Width||88 mm [3.5 in]|
|Weight of Product||69 g [2.4 oz]|
|Package Height||43 mm [1.7 in]|
|Package Length||13.7 cm [5.4 in]|
|Package Width||17.8 cm [7 in]|
|Shipping (Package) Weight||180 g [6.4 oz]|
|What's in the Box|
|Included in Package||1 - USB 3.1 to 2.5" SATA HDD enclosure|
|1 - USB-C to Micro B cable - 20.25 inches|
|1 - drive cushion|
|1 - quick start guide|
Connect a 2.5" SATA SSD/HDD to your computer using this USB 3.1 Gen 2 ultra-portable cable
Create a fast and portable data storage solution for your USB Type-C enabled laptop
Get ultra-fast access to data by connecting a 2.5" SATA SSD/HDD to your laptop’s USB-C port
Get the faster speed of USB 3.1 Gen 2 in a lightweight and portable storage solution
Get ready for ultra-fast USB 3.1 Gen 2 data storage using your 2.5” SSD or HDD
The high-speed, high-capacity data storage solution you’ve been waiting for – with USB 3.1 Gen 2
Dock two of your 2.5” and 3.5” SATA drives over high performance USB 3.1 Gen 2 with UASP
Dock your 2.5" or 3.5" SATA drive over high performance USB 3.1 with UASP
Turn a 6 Gbps HDD or SSD into secure external storage with touchpad password entry
Turn a 2.5” SATA Hard Drive or Solid State Drive into a UASP supported USB 3.0 External Hard Drive
Turn a 2.5" SATA HDD/SSD into an external SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Hard Drive/Solid State Drive
2.5in Aluminum USB 3.0 External SATA III SSD Hard Drive Enclosure with UASP for SATA 6 Gbps – Portable External HDD
Turn a 2.5” SATA Hard Drive or Solid State Drive into a UASP supported USB 3.0 External Hard Drive
USB 3.0 Universal 2.5in SATA III or IDE Hard Drive Enclosure with UASP - Portable External SSD / HDD
Turn a 2.5” SATA III or IDE HDD / SSD into an external hard drive that connects to your computer through USB 3.0 with UASP
Turn a 7mm high 2.5in SATA III SSD/HDD into a UASP-supported USB 3.0 External Drive
Frequently Asked Questions
Before You Buy
Hard drive enclosures require power from your system's USB port. Although you can plug in any standard SATA drive, USB ports only supply a limited amount of power and are not able to power all of the hard drives plugged into the system.
The power capabilities of the USB port combined with the power requirements of the attached hard drive will determine if the hard drive enclosure will work in your setup. The power (in mA) supplied by the USB port must be greater than the requirements of the hard drive.
A USB 2.0 port can supply a maximum of 500 mA (0.5 A), and a USB 3.0 port can supply a maximum of 900 mA (0.9 A).
You can usually find the power requirements of your hard drive in the technical specifications on the label of the hard drive or on the manufacturer's website.
Yes, this device supports the TRIM command. If the OS issues a TRIM command, the command will be passed to the connected device.
To determine if your hard drive will work in this enclosure, on the product page, click the Technical Specifications tab, and do the following:
- Make sure that the enclosure supports the storage size of your hard drive. If the storage size of your hard drive is larger than what the enclosure was tested with, the hard drive will likely still work with the enclosure.
- Confirm that your hard drive uses the same interface type as the enclosure. For example, IDE, SATA, or M.2.
- Make sure that the enclosure supports the physical size of your hard drive, such as 2.5 inches or 3.5 inches.
- Make sure that the enclosure supports the height of your hard drive. For example, 9 mm or 15 mm.
- Verify that the power consumption of your hard drive doesn’t exceed the power output of the enclosure. If you’re using multiple hard drives, make sure that the combined power consumption of all of the hard drives doesn’t exceed the power output of the enclosure.
USB 3.1 is the most recent version of the USB (Universal Serial Bus) standard for connecting computers and electronic devices. It is capable of data transfer speeds up to 10Gbps, and while it can use the USB-C connector type, it can also use a variety of other connector types. To achieve USB 3.1 transfer speeds, your USB host connection, cables, and device must all support USB 3.1. USB 3.1 is also known as USB 3.1 Gen 2 (10Gbps).
USB 3.0 is capable of data transfer speeds up to 5Gbps. USB 3.0 is also known as USB 3.1 Gen 1 (5Gbps).
USB 3.1 is backwards compatible with USB 3.0 and USB 2.0, except in the following scenarios:
- USB-B 3.1 cables are not compatible with USB-B 2.0 ports.
- Unless you use an adapter, USB-C ports or cables will not work with USB-A or USB-B ports or cables.
- Devices that require USB 3.1 transfer speeds of 10Gbps might not work with USB 3.0 or USB 2.0, or you might experience lower transfer speeds and impacted performance.
- Bus-powered USB devices that requires more power than what USB 2.0 can provide are not compatible with USB 2.0.
To transfer data at speeds of 10Gbps, you need to confirm that the following components in your setup support USB 3.1:
- The USB host connection
- The USB cable
- The USB device and any subcomponents (for example, a hard drive docking station and the hard drives in the docking station)
Note: USB 3.1 is also known as USB 3.1 Gen 2 (10Gbps). Devices that support USB 3.1 should have the USB 3.1 symbol on them. If the USB 3.1 symbol does not appear on your USB source or device, refer to the information provided by the manufacturer to confirm whether the USB source or device support USB 3.1.
The included USB cable for this USB 3.1 Gen 2 device has been tested and verified to perform at USB 3.1 Gen 2 speeds of 10Gbps.
USB-C is a type of USB connector that is capable of supporting the following:
- Data transfer speeds up to 10Gbps, if you use USB 3.1.
- Bi-directional power delivery up to 100W, if both the USB host connection and the device support it.
- Alternate modes, which deliver different types of data at different speeds. For example, DisplayPort Alternate Mode (DP Alt Mode).
If using Thunderbolt 3 over USB-C, the connection is capable of additional features. For example, Thunderbolt 3 is capable of 40Gbps of total bandwidth. For more information, refer to the following FAQ: https://www.startech.com/faq/thunderbolt-3-port-capabilities.
Not all USB-C ports or devices are capable of supporting all of the features listed above, or all of the features at the maximum capabilities. If you require a specific USB-C feature, your USB host connection, cables, and device must all support the feature that you require. For more information about whether your components support specific USB-C features, refer to the information provided by the manufacturers.
Compliance and Safety
- If product has an exposed circuit board, do not touch the product under power.
- If Class 1 Laser Product. Laser radiation is present when the system is open.
- Wiring terminations should not be made with the product and/or electric lines under power.
- Product installation and/or mounting should be completed by a certified professional as per the local safety and building code guidelines.
- Cables (including power and charging cables) should be placed and routed to avoid creating electric, tripping or safety hazards.
* Product appearance and specifications are subject to change without notice.