USB 3.1 (10Gbps) 2.5 SATA SSD/HDD Enclosure with Integrated USB-C Cable
Create a fast and portable data storage solution for your USB Type-C enabled laptop
Product ID: S251BU31C3CB
Here’s a great way to add ultra-fast, ultra-portable data storage to your USB-C™ enabled tablet or laptop, including MacBook, Chromebook Pixel™ and Dell XPS 12. This USB 3.1 Gen 2 drive enclosure features a built-in USB-C cable that makes it easy to connect a 2.5 in. SATA hard drive (HDD) or solid-state drive (SSD) to your computer through its USB-C port.
Portable storage with a built-in USB-C cable
This portable drive enclosure turns your 2.5 in. SATA solid-state drive or hard drive into external data storage that’s easy to take with you. Its compact, lightweight design makes it convenient to tuck into your laptop bag or carrying case.
To maximize portability, the enclosure features a built-in USB-C cable, so you never have to worry about forgetting to bring your connector cable with you wherever you go. The cable wraps safely around the enclosure while it’s not in use, to prevent damage or tangles and take up less space in your laptop bag. The USB Type-C™ connector is small and reversible, which makes for easier insertions and less risk of port damage. The drive enclosure is USB powered, with no external power adapter required, which means one less thing to carry with you.
Ultra-fast data transfer speeds
The drive enclosure connects easily to the USB-C port on your laptop or tablet, allowing you to access and store files, faster than ever. This USB 3.1 Gen 2 drive enclosure lets you leverage the high performance of the latest SSDs and hard drives. It supports data transfer rates of up to 10Gbps - twice the speed of USB 3.0 (USB 3.1 Gen 1) technology.
The drive enclosure supports SATA I, II and III (up to 6Gbps) and also supports UASP for enhanced performance.
Sleek design in durable aluminum
Engineered with a sleek and durable aluminum housing, the enclosure is equipped to keep your data safe and secure wherever you go. The aluminum housing also helps to distribute heat, to assist with dissipation.
The S251BU31C3CB is backed by a StarTech.com 2-year warranty and free lifetime technical support.
- Add portable external data storage to your USB-C equipped laptop or tablet using a 2.5 in. solid-state drive or hard drive
- Use your SATA SSDs/HDDs at maximum speed, by taking advantage of ultra-fast USB 3.1 Gen 2 (10Gbps) connectivity
- Back up your important data to an external storage device
- Share large files between computers quickly and securely, without a network
|Bus Type||USB 3.1 Gen 2|
|Chipset ID||ASMedia - ASM1351|
|Compatible Drive Types||SATA|
|Interface||USB 3.1 Gen 2|
|Number of Drives||1|
|Supported Drive Height(s)||5mm|
|Max Drive Capacity||Currently tested with hard drives up to 2TB at 7200 RPM|
|Maximum Data Transfer Rate||10 Gbps|
|Type and Rate||USB 3.1 Gen 2 - 10 Gbit/s|
|SATA III (6 Gbps)|
|Connector Type(s)||1 - USB Type-C (24 pin) USB 3.1 (10Gbps)|
|Drive Connectors||1 - 22 pin SATA Data + Power (7 + 15 pin) Plug|
|Host Connectors||1 - USB Type-C (24 pin) USB 3.1 (10Gbps)|
|OS Compatibility||OS independent; No software or drivers required|
|Special Notes / Requirements|
|Note||Windows 7 and earlier Windows versions do not support TRIM with USB to SATA devices.|
|LED Indicators||1 - Power and Activity|
|Humidity||Operation Humidity: 10% ~ 90% RH
Storage Humidity: 5% ~ 95% RH
|Operating Temperature||0°C to 40°C (32°F to 104°F)|
|Storage Temperature||-10°C to 65°C (14°F to 149°F)|
|Cable Length||273 mm [10.7 in]|
|Material||Aluminum and Plastic|
|Max Drive Height||9.5 mm [0.4 in]|
|Product Height||1.5 cm [0.6 in]|
|Product Length||13.9 cm [5.5 in]|
|Product Width||82.8 mm [3.3 in]|
|Weight of Product||126 g [4.4 oz]|
|Package Height||41 mm [1.6 in]|
|Package Length||18.9 cm [7.4 in]|
|Package Width||15.3 cm [6 in]|
|Shipping (Package) Weight||226 g [8 oz]|
|What's in the Box|
|Included in Package||1 - USB 3.1 2.5" SATA SSD/HDD enclosure with USB-C cable|
|3 - enclosure assembly screws|
|3 - drive-mount hardware screws|
|1 - screwdriver|
|1 - quick install guide|
Get ready for ultra-fast USB 3.1 Gen 2 data storage using your 2.5” SSD or HDD
Get the faster speed of USB 3.1 Gen 2 in a lightweight and portable storage solution
Turn two 2.5" SATA SSDs or HDDs into high-performance storage with RAID - for USB-C and USB-A enabled devices
The high-speed, high-capacity data storage solution you’ve been waiting for – with USB 3.1 Gen 2
Turn your mSATA or mSATA Mini drive into a portable, high performance storage solution over USB 3.1 Gen 2
Turn your M.2 SATA drive into an ultra-fast, ultra-portable storage solution for USB-C enabled devices
Add fast and portable data storage to your USB Type-C enabled MacBook, Chromebook Pixel, or laptop
Connect a 2.5" SATA SSD/HDD to your computer using this USB 3.1 Gen 2 ultra-portable cable
Get ultra-fast access to data by connecting a 2.5" SATA SSD/HDD to your laptop’s USB-C port
Turn a USB Type-C port on your laptop into three USB Type-A ports (5Gbps) and one USB Type-C port
Turn a USB Type-C port on your laptop into three USB Type-A charge-and-sync ports (5Gbps) and one USB Type-C port
Frequently Asked Questions
Before You Buy
Yes, this device supports the TRIM command. If the OS issues a TRIM command, the command will be passed to the connected device.
To determine if your hard drive will work in this enclosure, on the product page, click the Technical Specifications tab, and do the following:
- Make sure that the enclosure supports the storage size of your hard drive. If the storage size of your hard drive is larger than what the enclosure was tested with, the hard drive will likely still work with the enclosure.
- Confirm that your hard drive uses the same interface type as the enclosure. For example, IDE, SATA, or M.2.
- Make sure that the enclosure supports the physical size of your hard drive, such as 2.5 inches or 3.5 inches.
- Make sure that the enclosure supports the height of your hard drive. For example, 9 mm or 15 mm.
- Verify that the power consumption of your hard drive doesn’t exceed the power output of the enclosure. If you’re using multiple hard drives, make sure that the combined power consumption of all of the hard drives doesn’t exceed the power output of the enclosure.
USB 3.1 is the most recent version of the USB (Universal Serial Bus) standard for connecting computers and electronic devices. It is capable of data transfer speeds up to 10Gbps, and while it can use the USB-C connector type, it can also use a variety of other connector types. To achieve USB 3.1 transfer speeds, your USB host connection, cables, and device must all support USB 3.1. USB 3.1 is also known as USB 3.1 Gen 2 (10Gbps).
USB 3.0 is capable of data transfer speeds up to 5Gbps. USB 3.0 is also known as USB 3.1 Gen 1 (5Gbps).
USB 3.1 is backwards compatible with USB 3.0 and USB 2.0, except in the following scenarios:
- USB-B 3.1 cables are not compatible with USB-B 2.0 ports.
- Unless you use an adapter, USB-C ports or cables will not work with USB-A or USB-B ports or cables.
- Devices that require USB 3.1 transfer speeds of 10Gbps might not work with USB 3.0 or USB 2.0, or you might experience lower transfer speeds and impacted performance.
- Bus-powered USB devices that requires more power than what USB 2.0 can provide are not compatible with USB 2.0.
To transfer data at speeds of 10Gbps, you need to confirm that the following components in your setup support USB 3.1:
- The USB host connection
- The USB cable
- The USB device and any subcomponents (for example, a hard drive docking station and the hard drives in the docking station)
Note: USB 3.1 is also known as USB 3.1 Gen 2 (10Gbps). Devices that support USB 3.1 should have the USB 3.1 symbol on them. If the USB 3.1 symbol does not appear on your USB source or device, refer to the information provided by the manufacturer to confirm whether the USB source or device support USB 3.1.
The included USB cable for this USB 3.1 Gen 2 device has been tested and verified to perform at USB 3.1 Gen 2 speeds of 10Gbps.
USB-C is a type of USB connector that is capable of supporting the following:
- Data transfer speeds up to 10Gbps, if you use USB 3.1.
- Bi-directional power delivery up to 100W, if both the USB host connection and the device support it.
- Alternate modes, which deliver different types of data at different speeds. For example, DisplayPort Alternate Mode (DP Alt Mode).
If using Thunderbolt 3 over USB-C, the connection is capable of additional features. For example, Thunderbolt 3 is capable of 40Gbps of total bandwidth. For more information, refer to the following FAQ: https://www.startech.com/faq/thunderbolt-3-port-capabilities.
Not all USB-C ports or devices are capable of supporting all of the features listed above, or all of the features at the maximum capabilities. If you require a specific USB-C feature, your USB host connection, cables, and device must all support the feature that you require. For more information about whether your components support specific USB-C features, refer to the information provided by the manufacturers.
Compliance and Safety
- If product has an exposed circuit board, do not touch the product under power.
- If Class 1 Laser Product. Laser radiation is present when the system is open.
- Wiring terminations should not be made with the product and/or electric lines under power.
- Product installation and/or mounting should be completed by a certified professional as per the local safety and building code guidelines.
- Cables (including power and charging cables) should be placed and routed to avoid creating electric, tripping or safety hazards.
* Product appearance and specifications are subject to change without notice.