2 Drive 2.5in Trayless Hot Swap SATA Mobile Rack Backplane
Easy, trayless removal and insertion of dual 2.5in SATA hard drives from single 3.5in bay
Product ID: HSB220SAT25B
- Holds up to two SATA drives in a single 3.5" bay
- Trayless design: drives are not mounted into separate trays/enclosures
- Includes a plastic protective film for the bottom side of hard drive
This 3.5in SATA hard drive hot-swap bay allows you to install two 2.5in SATA hard drives (HDD) or solid state drives (SSD) in an available/unused 3.5in floppy drive bay.
Featuring a convenient "no mounting required /easy eject" feature (like a tape cartridge or floppy disk), the hard drive hot swap bay doesn't require that the drives be installed in a tray - making it the ideal solution for quick and easy drive removals and insertions as part of a system building process, or integration into rackmount systems or industrial environments.
To maximize performance and utilize the full speed potential of your SATA III hard drives, this HDD Backplane supports SATA III for transfer speeds up to 6 Gbps when paired with a compatible controller.
Also a perfect addition for operating system image deployment and any task that requires being able to quickly access large volumes of data on the fly, the hot swap bay provides everything you need to expedite important projects while maintaining a reliable storage solution.
With support for SATA HDD speeds up to 6.0 Gbps, this backplane is fully compatible with RAID installations to ensure maximum performance and versatility for enhanced storage applications.
- IT environments where you just need to quickly insert/replace removable hard drives/solid state drives
- Imaging - For System Builders or configuring new systems - Use Hot Swap Bay in master system to copy Windows OS quickly to blank hard drive as part of system building process
- Ideal for RAID applications (with RAID supported SATA controller)
The StarTech.com Advantage
- Maximize performance, with file transfer speeds up to 6Gbps when paired with SATA III HDD and controller
- Quickly and easily install or remove HDD/SSD without having to open the chassis with the innovative trayless design
- Aluminum construction and 50,000+ insertion rating ensures longevity from both the HDD/SSD and bay
|Compatible Drive Types||SATA|
|Front Door Key Lock||No|
|Number of Drives||2|
|Hot Swap Capability||Yes|
|Max Drive Capacity||Tested up to 500GB per drive|
|Type and Rate||SATA III (6 Gbps)|
|Connector Type(s)||2 - SATA (7 pin, Data) Receptacle|
|2 - SATA Power (15 pin) Receptacle|
|2 - SP4 (4 pin, Small Drive Power) Male|
|Drive Connectors||2 - SATA (7 pin, Data) Receptacle|
|2 - SATA Power (15 pin) Receptacle|
|Host Connectors||2 - SATA (7 pin, Data) Plug|
|2 - SATA Power (15 pin) Plug|
|OS Compatibility||OS independent; No software or drivers required|
|LED Indicators||1 - Power/Drive Activity|
|Max Drive Height||0.4 in [9.5 mm]|
|Product Height||0.9 in [2.4 cm]|
|Product Length||5.3 in [13.4 cm]|
|Product Width||4 in [10.2 cm]|
|Weight of Product||10.1 oz [286 g]|
|Package Height||2.1 in [54 mm]|
|Package Length||6.7 in [17.1 cm]|
|Package Width||5 in [12.6 cm]|
|Shipping (Package) Weight||17 oz [481 g]|
|What's in the Box|
|Included in Package||1 - dual SATA hot-swap bay|
|2 - LP4 to SATA and LED adapter cable|
|1 - 15-pin SATA power and LED Y cable|
|2 - 7-pin SATA data cable|
|2 - hard drive protector film|
|1 - screw kit|
|1 - instruction manual|
Frequently Asked Questions
When you troubleshoot issues with a hard drive rack, there are some quick tests that you can complete to rule out potential problems. You can test to make sure that the following components are working correctly and are not the source of the issue:
- SATA and SAS cables
- Hard drives
- Hard drive rack
To test your setup components, try the following:
- Use the cables, hard drives, and hard drive rack in another setup to see if the problem is with the components or the setup.
- Use a different cable, hard drive, and hard drive rack in your setup to see if the problem persists. Ideally, you should test a component that you know works in another setup.
When you test the hard drive and hard drive rack, it is recommended that you do the following:
- To check Disk Management, press the Windows key + R, type diskmgmt.msc, and press Enter. Check to see if your hard drive is listed.
- If the hard drive is listed with unallocated space, it needs to be formatted. Right-click unallocated and click New Simple Volume. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the reformatting.
Note: Formatting a hard drive erases all of the data on it. Make sure that you back up all of your data before you reformat the hard drive.
- If the hard drive is listed as healthy but does not have a drive letter assigned to it, for example, C:, right-click healthy and click Change Drive Letter and Paths. Click Add, assign a drive letter, and click OK.
Note: A formatted hard drive will not show up in Computer or My Computer until it has a drive letter assigned to it.
Yes, this mobile rack does support hot-swapping of SATA drives. To use this feature, it is required that the SATA port is set to Advanced Host Controller Interface (AHCI) mode and hot-swapping is enabled. On most motherboards, this is performed within the Basic Input/Output System (BIOS) or the Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI). If you are using a SATA controller card, consult the motherboard manufacturer's technical documentation for the correct steps to accomplish this.
Compliance and Safety
- If product has an exposed circuit board, do not touch the product under power.
- If Class 1 Laser Product. Laser radiation is present when the system is open.
- Wiring terminations should not be made with the product and/or electric lines under power.
- Product installation and/or mounting should be completed by a certified professional as per the local safety and building code guidelines.
- Cables (including power and charging cables) should be placed and routed to avoid creating electric, tripping or safety hazards.
* Product appearance and specifications are subject to change without notice.