SATA to USB Cable with UASP
SATA to USB Adapter Cable | SATA III 6Gbps | 2.5" SSD or HDD | USB 3.0 | Portable
Product ID: USB3S2SAT3CB
This SATA to USB cable is an external drive adapter that gives you quick and easy access to a SATA drive through the USB-A port on a laptop.
Upgrade the Drive on Your Laptop
This SATA solid-state (SSD) or hard drive (HDD) adapter lets you upgrade to an external 2.5" SATA SSD or HDD.
The cable lets you:
- Add drive space
- Perform backups
- Create disk images
- Implement data recovery
- Transfer content between the drive and the laptop
Faster Transfer Speeds with UASP
The cable supports USB 3.0 data transfer speeds of 5Gbps. But, you can experience transfer speeds up to 70% faster than conventional USB 3.0, when connected to a computer that also supports UASP. With UASP you can utilize the full potential of a SATA III SSD or HDD. UASP is supported in Windows® 8, Mac OS X (10.8 or above), and Linux®.
In testing, UASP performs with a 70% faster read speed and 40% faster write speed over traditional USB 3.0 at peak performance.
At the same peak in testing, UASP also shows an 80% reduction in required processor resources.
Connect from Anywhere
The SATA to USB cable is a portable solution that tucks away nicely in a laptop bag -- no external power is required. The cable lets you easily swap between drives with no need to install the drive inside an enclosure. It’s plug-and-play and doesn’t require drivers.
USB3S2SAT3CB is backed by a StarTech.com 2-year warranty and free lifetime technical support.
- Take advantage of USB 3.0 laptops or desktops with UASP for faster transfer speeds
- Back up important data to an external storage device
- Perform a data migration or clone a drive
- Back up important data to an external storage device
- Retrieve data from an old SATA drive
- Upgrade your laptop HDD to an SSD via USB 3.0
The StarTech.com Advantage
- Maximum portability with cable-style adapter, and no external power adapter required
- Time-saving file transfers, up to 70% faster than traditional USB 3.0 when used with a UASP-supported host
Ingram Micro Singapore
|Bus Type||USB 3.0|
|Chipset ID||ASMedia - ASM1153E|
|Compatible Drive Types||SATA|
|Number of Drives||1|
|General Specifications||Max power of the attached drive is 900 mA|
|Max Drive Capacity||Currently tested with up to 2TB 5900 RPM hard drives|
|Type and Rate||USB 3.0 - 5 Gbit/s|
|SATA III (6 Gbps)|
|Drive Connectors||1 - SATA Data & Power Combo (7+15 pin) Receptacle|
|1 - SATA Power (15 pin)|
|Host Connectors||1 - USB Type-A (9 pin) USB 3.0 (5 Gbps) Male|
|OS Compatibility||OS independent; No software or drivers required|
|Special Notes / Requirements|
|Note||Cable will work only with 2.5" SATA drives
3.5"/5.25" drives are not supported
|Windows 7 and earlier Windows versions do not support TRIM with USB to SATA devices.|
|Operating Temperature||0°C to 60°C (32°F to 140°F)|
|Storage Temperature||-10°C to 70°C (14°F to 158°F)|
|Product Height||0.4 in [0.9 cm]|
|Product Length||19.7 in [50 cm]|
|Product Width||1.9 in [49 mm]|
|Weight of Product||1.5 oz [42.5 g]|
|Package Height||0.4 in [10 mm]|
|Package Length||7.8 in [19.8 cm]|
|Package Width||8.7 in [22 cm]|
|Shipping (Package) Weight||2.2 oz [61 g]|
|What's in the Box|
|Included in Package||1 - USB 3.0 to SATA 2.5" HDD Adapter Cable|
|1 - Instruction Manual|
Turn a 2.5” SATA Hard Drive or Solid State Drive into a UASP supported USB 3.0 External Hard Drive
Frequently Asked Questions
Before You Buy
The hard drive adapter requires power from your system's USB port. Although you can plug in any standard SATA drive, USB ports only supply a limited amount of power and are not able to power all of the SATA drives plugged into the cable.
As a general rule, the hard drive adapter only supports 2.5 in. hard drives (HDD) and solid state drives (SSD). 3.5 in. drives typically require a 12V power connection, which is not provided by the USB port or the hard drive adapter.
The power capabilities of the USB port combined with the power requirements of the attached drive will determine if the hard drive adapter will work in your setup. The power (in mA) supplied by the USB port must be greater than the requirements of the drive.
If you are using a USB 2.0 port, your port will only be able to supply a maximum of 500 mA (0.5 A). If you are using a USB 3.0 port, your port will be able to supply a maximum of 900 mA (0.9 A).
You can usually find the power requirements of your drive in the technical specifications on the label of the drive or on the manufacturer's website.
This device does not support the ATA Packet Interface (ATAPI) protocol. ATAPI is required for optical drives, including CD-ROM drives, DVD-ROM drives, and Blu-ray players. Because this device does not support ATAPI, optical drives are also not supported over any IDE, SATA, or eSATA connections.
For a list of products that do support ATAPI, refer to the following FAQ: https://www.startech.com/faq/hard_drive_controllers_atapi_support.
Compliance and Safety
- If product has an exposed circuit board, do not touch the product under power.
- If Class 1 Laser Product. Laser radiation is present when the system is open.
- Wiring terminations should not be made with the product and/or electric lines under power.
- Product installation and/or mounting should be completed by a certified professional as per the local safety and building code guidelines.
- Cables (including power and charging cables) should be placed and routed to avoid creating electric, tripping or safety hazards.
* Product appearance and specifications are subject to change without notice.