M.2 SATA External SSD Enclosure - USB 3.0 with UASP
Turn your solid state drive into an ultra-portable pocket drive
Product ID: SM2NGFFMBU33
- Boost external performance by leveraging the speed of your SATA M.2 SSD in a UASP-supported USB 3.0 enclosure
- Maximize portability with a small footprint, lightweight design and USB-powered performance
- Broad compatibility with support for the most common SATA M.2 SSDs (30mm, 42mm, 60mm, 80mm)
The SM2NGFFMBU33 external USB 3.0 to M.2 (NGFF) enclosure turns your SATA M.2 solid state drive into a portable, high speed USB 3.0 drive.
Get higher external performance by using an M.2 SSD in place of a platter drive, harnessing the full potential of your USB 3.0 computer system. The enclosure supports UASP, enabling you to achieve transfer speeds up to 70% faster than traditional USB 3.0 when used with a UASP-enabled host computer.
This slim, pocket-sized SSD enclosure has been specifically engineered for mobility. The enclosure features a lightweight yet durable design, which fits easily into your pocket or laptop bag. For further convenience, the enclosure is powered entirely using the USB host bus and requires no external power adapter.
Durable aluminum construction helps to ensure your drive won't be damaged while you're on the move. Plus, to maximize heat dissipation the enclosure features specially engineered ventilation holes which help maintain a cooler operating environment for optimal performance and a longer life span for your drive.
For wide compatibility with all of the common M.2 solid state drives, the enclosure can mount multiple drive heights including: 2242, 2260, and 2280.
The M.2 enclosure is backed by a StarTech.com 2-year warranty and free lifetime technical support.
Improved Performance with UASP
UASP is supported in Windows 8, Mac OSX (10.8 or above), and Linux. In testing UASP performs with a 70% faster read speed and 40% faster write speed over traditional USB 3.0 at peak performance.
At the same peak in testing UASP also shows an 80% reduction in required processor resources.
Testing results were obtained using an Intel® Ivy Bridge system, a UASP enabled StarTech.com Enclosure, and a SATA III solid state drive.
- Re-purpose an M.2 SATA SSD as a USB 3.0 external drive
- Carry with your laptop for a highly portable external storage solution
- Transfer files to or from your external drive faster, by using a high performance SATA M.2 SSD as your external drive
The StarTech.com Advantage
- Get the most out of your M.2 SSD with an external USB enclosure that supports UASP, for transfer speeds up to 70% faster than traditional USB 3.0
- Rest assured your M.2 SSD is supported, with mounting points for the most common M.2 NGFF SSD heights (2230, 2242, 2260, 2280)
- Carry your USB 3.0 external M.2 SSD in your laptop bag, and maximize portability with a small footprint, lightweight design
|Bus Type||USB 3.0|
|Chipset ID||ASMedia - ASM1153E|
|Compatible Drive Types||M.2 (SATA, B-Key, NGFF)|
|M.2 SATA (NGFF, B+M-Key)|
|Number of Drives||1|
|General Specifications||Not compatible with M.2 NVMe or AHCI PCI-Express SSDs|
|Maximum Data Transfer Rate||5 Gbps|
|Type and Rate||USB 3.0 - 5 Gbit/s|
|SATA III (6 Gbps)|
|Drive Connectors||1 - M.2 (SATA, B-Key, NGFF) Receptacle|
|Host Connectors||1 - USB 3.0 Micro-B (10 pin, SuperSpeed) Female|
|OS Compatibility||OS independent; No software or drivers required|
|Special Notes / Requirements|
|Note||Windows 7 and earlier Windows versions do not support TRIM with USB to SATA devices.|
|Humidity||5% to 95% RH|
|Operating Temperature||0°C to 50°C (32°F to 122°F)|
|Storage Temperature||-10°C to 85°C (14°F to 185°F)|
|Product Height||0.6 in [1.5 cm]|
|Product Length||3.9 in [10 cm]|
|Product Width||1.4 in [35 mm]|
|Weight of Product||1.8 oz [50 g]|
|Package Height||1.2 in [31 mm]|
|Package Length||5.2 in [13.1 cm]|
|Package Width||6.4 in [16.3 cm]|
|Shipping (Package) Weight||4.4 oz [125 g]|
|What's in the Box|
|Included in Package||1 - USB 3.0 to M.2 NGFF SSD Enclosure|
|1 - USB 3.0 Cable|
|1 - SSD screw kit|
|1 - Mini screw driver|
|1 - Instruction manual|
Convert an M.2 solid state drive into a standard 2.5in form factor 6Gbps SSD
Turn a 2.5” SATA Hard Drive or Solid State Drive into a UASP supported USB 3.0 External Hard Drive
Frequently Asked Questions
Before You Buy
Although M.2 SSDs come in similar form factors, only an M.2 SATA drive with an NGFF B key will operate with this device. M.2 drives that are PCIe or have a different key position are not compatible with this device.
This device can adapt an M.2 SATA drive to standard SATA connections, which is not possible for a PCIe based M.2 drive. The key type refers to the connector type on the M.2 SATA drive. B key can be M.2 PCIe x2 or SATA, so it is important that you check the specifications of the drive to see if it supports SATA.
To determine if your hard drive will work in this enclosure, on the product page, click the Technical Specifications tab, and do the following:
- Make sure that the enclosure supports the storage size of your hard drive. If the storage size of your hard drive is larger than what the enclosure was tested with, the hard drive will likely still work with the enclosure.
- Confirm that your hard drive uses the same interface type as the enclosure. For example, IDE, SATA, or M.2.
- Make sure that the enclosure supports the physical size of your hard drive, such as 2.5 inches or 3.5 inches.
- Make sure that the enclosure supports the height of your hard drive. For example, 9 mm or 15 mm.
- Verify that the power consumption of your hard drive doesn’t exceed the power output of the enclosure. If you’re using multiple hard drives, make sure that the combined power consumption of all of the hard drives doesn’t exceed the power output of the enclosure.
Compliance and Safety
- If product has an exposed circuit board, do not touch the product under power.
- If Class 1 Laser Product. Laser radiation is present when the system is open.
- Wiring terminations should not be made with the product and/or electric lines under power.
- Product installation and/or mounting should be completed by a certified professional as per the local safety and building code guidelines.
- Cables (including power and charging cables) should be placed and routed to avoid creating electric, tripping or safety hazards.
* Product appearance and specifications are subject to change without notice.