Is there a different or more advanced way to install my serial card in Windows XP?
Before you install the device, make sure that your operating system is current (for example, the most recent service pack is installed).
- Download the latest drivers from the StarTech.com website at http://www.startech.com/Support. The part number and product ID are on the product packaging.
Note: Windows usually saves the files to the Downloads folder that is associated with your user account (for example, C:\Documents and Settings\your_name\My Documents\Downloads).
- After the download is complete, right-click the zip folder that you downloaded, click Extract All, and complete the instructions.
- Press the Windows key + R, type devmgmt.msc, and press Enter to open the Device Manager.
- Right-click PCI Serial Port, which will have “!” or “?” next to it to indicate a driver issue.
- Click Update Driver.
- On the Hardware Update Wizard screen, click Install from a list or specific location (Advanced), and then click Next.
- Select the Don’t search, I will choose the driver to install option, and then click Next.
- On the Hardware Type screen, click Show All Devices, and then click Next.
Note: The Hardware Type screen does not appear on all systems. If you do not see this screen, skip this step.
- On the Select the Device Driver you want to install for this hardware screen, select the Have Disk option.
- In the Install from Disk dialog box, click Browse.
- Browse to the Drivers folder and open the 32-bit or the 64-bit folder, depending on your system type.
Note: To view your system type, press Windows key + R, type control /name microsoft.system, and press Enter.
- Click the StnMF file or the NmXpMf file (only one of the file names is displayed). Click OK, and then click Next.
- The COM ports are listed in Device Manager under Ports (COM & LPT). Repeat steps 4 to 11 for each of the COM ports, selecting the StnPorts file or the NmPorts file in step 11.