July 11, 2017
New mobile backplane combines the benefits of a portable drive enclosure and a fixed mobile backplane, making it easier to hot-swap drives between servers or desktop computers.
Lockbourne, OH - July 11, 2017 - StarTech.com has announced the release of a new Hot-Swap Drive Bay (SKU: S251BU31REM) which enables users to quickly manage 2.5” SATA SSD/HDD drives in a desktop computer or server. This product combines the benefits of a portable enclosure with a fixed mobile backplane, for users to swap, replace, or transport a drive with the portable enclosure, or to store their drive in a fixed location.
The drive bay offers USB 3.1 (10Gbps) connectivity speeds, which provides fast performance and enables quick access to data. Front access to the removable enclosure provides users with the ability to quickly install or remove drives, and to access the drive without the need to open the backplane or enclosure. The mobile drive bay allows hot swapping, offering a convenient solution for drive maintenance for interchangeability of data between multiple systems.
This drive bay is easy to install, which is useful for system integrators, installers or builders who want to incorporate this product into their system build or solution. This product is also ideal for industrial or enterprise storage applications such as data backup, recovery, and archiving, and especially useful for IT professionals who need to regularly replace or remove drives, such as in server rooms and data centers.
Additional features and benefits of the drive bay are:
- USB 3.1 Gen 2 (Type-A and Type-C™) connectivity
- SATA III (6Gbps) drive interface; compatible with SATA revisions I/II/III
- Supports one (1) 2.5" SATA hard drive (HDD) or solid-state drive (SSD); supports drive heights up to 9.5 mm
- Well-built, durable aluminum construction
- Front-mount bay design; can be mounted and installed into any standard 3.5" or 5.25" front bay; includes a 2.5” SATA removable external enclosure
- Push-button drive ejection
- Hot-swappable enclosure; easy to swap a drive into and out of the mobile backplane
- LED indicator for power and drive activity
- Plug-and-play functionality; no driver or software installation required
“The drive bay and spare drive enclosure allow users to install a 2.5" SATA SSD/HDD into a computer or server chassis using a standard 3.5/5.25” bay. This product combines the benefits of a portable enclosure with a fixed mobile backplane, enabling users to hot swap, replace, or transport a drive with the portable enclosure, or to store their drive in a fixed location, such as in a desktop computer or server,” said Scott Burton, Product Manager, StarTech.com.
Additional spare Drive Enclosures (SKU: S251BU31REMD) are sold separately.
The new mobile drive bay and enclosure are available at CDW, Amazon.com, Newegg.com, PC Connection, and Insight and will be distributed by Ingram Micro, SYNNEX, Tech Data, D&H and ASI.