Dual-Port USB 3.1 Card - 10Gbps per port - 1x USB-C, 1x USB-A - PCIe
Add one USB Type-C and one USB Type-A port (10Gbps) to your computer, through a PCI Express slot
Product ID: PEXUSB311AC2
- Diversify the overall USB capabilities of your computer by adding USB Type-C and USB Type-A ports
- Transfer files and access USB 3.1 devices faster, with up to 10Gbps throughput
- Optional SATA power connector provides up to 900mA per USB port
This USB 3.1 card lets you add one USB-C™ port and one USB-A port to your computer, through a PCI Express slot. It enables you to upgrade your current system by adding two USB 3.1 Gen 2 ports to your computer and giving you access to data transfer speeds up to 10Gbps per port.
Plus, by adding one USB-C and one USB-A port to your PC, you can easily connect legacy, modern, and future USB devices, regardless of the USB connector type.
Faster USB performance
By adding 10Gbps USB ports to your computer, you can harness the speed of USB 3.1 Gen 2 and rest assured you’re ready for both current and future high-bandwidth USB-A and USB-C devices.
With higher data throughput support, this USB 3.1 PCIe card is a necessity for external drives, drive enclosures, and many other USB 3.1 peripherals. Plus, the USB card includes an optional SATA power connector to connect to your system power supply and deliver up to 900mA of power per port to USB 3.1 bus-powered devices (500mA for USB 2.0). The card is ideal for use with large external storage solutions.
Compatible with older USB devices
Connecting older peripherals isn’t a problem. This versatile dual-port USB 3.1 card is backward compatible with legacy USB 3.0/2.0 devices that use the common USB Type-A port, so you can eliminate the added expense and aggravation of purchasing new devices. You can also connect older devices on the USB Type-C™ port using a variety of USB-C cables and adapters.
The USB 3.1 card is compatible with a broad range of Windows® and Linux® operating systems. Plus, the high-quality card includes both standard-profile and low-profile brackets, making it easy to install in full or small form-factor PCs and servers.
The PEXUSB311AC2 is backed by a StarTech.com 2-year warranty and free lifetime technical support.
- Upgrade an older PCIe equipped desktop from USB 3.0/2.0 to USB 3.1 Gen 2 (10Gbps)
- Expand the USB capabilities of your system by adding one USB-C port and one USB-A port, or install the card as a vital hardware component when building a new PC
- Ideal for file backups, video editing, and data recovery, using high-bandwidth USB 3.1 Gen 2 external storage solutions
|Bus Type||PCI Express|
|Card Type||Standard Profile (LP bracket incl.)|
|Chipset ID||ASMedia - ASM2142|
|Industry Standards||USB 3.1 Specification Rev. 1.0
USB Specification Rev. 2.0
PCI Express Base Specification Rev. 3.0
Intel xHCI Specification Rev. 1.1
UASP (USB Attached SCSI Protocol) Rev. 1.0
|Interface||USB 3.1 Gen 2|
|Port Style||Integrated on Card|
|Maximum Data Transfer Rate||10Gbps|
|Type and Rate||USB 3.1 Gen 2 - 10 Gbit/s|
|Connector Type(s)||1 - PCI Express x4 Male|
|External Ports||1 - USB Type-C (24 pin) USB 3.1 (10Gbps) Female|
|1 - USB 3.1 USB Type-A (9 pin, Gen 2, 10 Gbps) Female|
|Internal Ports||1 - SATA Power (15 pin) Plug|
|OS Compatibility||Windows® 7, 8, 8.1, 10
Windows Server® 2008 R2, 2012, 2016
Linux® 3.5 to 4.11.x LTS version only
|Special Notes / Requirements|
|Note||The card's USB-C port is a standard data throughput port. It does not support DP Alt Mode or USB Power Delivery.|
|The maximum throughput of this card is limited by the bus interface. PCI Express Gen 1.0 max throughput is 2.5Gbps. PCI Express Gen 2.0 max throughput is 5Gbps. PCI Express Gen 3.0 max throughput is 10Gbps.|
|The available bandwidth (10Gbps) is shared equally between the two ports.|
|System and Cable Requirements||PCI Express enabled computer or server with a PCI Express x4 slot or higher (x8, x16)|
|Optional SATA power connector|
|Operating Temperature||5°C to 50°C (41°F to 122°F)|
|Storage Temperature||-20°C to 60°C (-4°F to 140°F)|
|Product Height||2.1 cm [0.8 in]|
|Product Length||12.2 cm [4.8 in]|
|Product Width||10.8 cm [4.3 in]|
|Weight of Product||50 g [1.8 oz]|
|Package Height||30 mm [1.2 in]|
|Package Length||17 cm [6.7 in]|
|Package Width||14.2 cm [5.6 in]|
|Shipping (Package) Weight||120 g [4.2 oz]|
|What's in the Box|
|Included in Package||1 - USB 3.1 card|
|1 - low-profile bracket|
|1 - quick-start guide|
Windows Server® 2008 R2, 2012, 2016
Linux® 3.5 to 4.11.x LTS version only
Upgrade your computer to the faster speed of USB 3.1 Gen 2, by adding one external and one internal 10Gbps USB Type-A ports
4 Port PCI Express (PCIe) SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Card Adapter w/ 4 Dedicated 5Gbps Channels - UASP - SATA / LP4 Power
Add four USB 3.0 ports with four independent channels, LP/SATA power, and charging support to your PC through a PCI Express slot
Add 2 SuperSpeed USB 3.0 ports with SATA power to your PCI Express-enabled PC
Add front or rear panel USB 3.0 ports to your computer case using USB 3.0 motherboard-style headers
Get the scalability you need by adding 7 USB 3.0 ports with SATA power to your computer
Add four USB 3.0 ports – three external ports and one internal port – to your computer
Running low on expansion slots? Merge USB 3.0 and GbE into a single PCIe combo card
Get ready for ultra-fast USB 3.1 Gen 2 data storage using your 2.5” SSD or HDD
Turn two 2.5" SATA SSDs or HDDs into high-performance storage with RAID - for USB-C and USB-A enabled devices
Get the faster speed of USB 3.1 Gen 2 in a lightweight and portable storage solution
Connect your USB Type-C laptop to a USB legacy peripheral device, with this durable adapter
USB-A to USB-C™ Cable | USB-IF Certified | USB 3.1 (10Gbps)
Connect USB 3.1 or 3.0 USB-B devices to your USB-C tablet or laptop or computer
Connect USB Micro-B devices to your USB-C host, using this durable 1-meter cable
Connect your USB Type-C devices
Power a Serial ATA hard drive from a conventional LP4 power supply connection
[ASMedia ASM2142] Windows USB 3.1 Controller Card.zip
Only needed for Win7
Frequently Asked Questions
Before You Buy
USB 3.1 is the most recent version of the USB (Universal Serial Bus) standard for connecting computers and electronic devices. It is capable of data transfer speeds up to 10Gbps, and while it can use the USB-C connector type, it can also use a variety of other connector types. To achieve USB 3.1 transfer speeds, your USB host connection, cables, and device must all support USB 3.1. USB 3.1 is also known as USB 3.1 Gen 2 (10Gbps).
USB 3.0 is capable of data transfer speeds up to 5Gbps. USB 3.0 is also known as USB 3.1 Gen 1 (5Gbps).
USB 3.1 is backwards compatible with USB 3.0 and USB 2.0, except in the following scenarios:
- USB-B 3.1 cables are not compatible with USB-B 2.0 ports.
- Unless you use an adapter, USB-C ports or cables will not work with USB-A or USB-B ports or cables.
- Devices that require USB 3.1 transfer speeds of 10Gbps might not work with USB 3.0 or USB 2.0, or you might experience lower transfer speeds and impacted performance.
- Bus-powered USB devices that requires more power than what USB 2.0 can provide are not compatible with USB 2.0.
To transfer data at speeds of 10Gbps, you need to confirm that the following components in your setup support USB 3.1:
- The USB host connection
- The USB cable
- The USB device and any subcomponents (for example, a hard drive docking station and the hard drives in the docking station)
Note: USB 3.1 is also known as USB 3.1 Gen 2 (10Gbps). Devices that support USB 3.1 should have the USB 3.1 symbol on them. If the USB 3.1 symbol does not appear on your USB source or device, refer to the information provided by the manufacturer to confirm whether the USB source or device support USB 3.1.
USB-C is a type of USB connector that is capable of supporting the following:
- Data transfer speeds up to 10Gbps, if you use USB 3.1.
- Bi-directional power delivery up to 100W, if both the USB host connection and the device support it.
- Alternate modes, which deliver different types of data at different speeds. For example, DisplayPort Alternate Mode (DP Alt Mode).
If using Thunderbolt 3 over USB-C, the connection is capable of additional features. For example, Thunderbolt 3 is capable of 40Gbps of total bandwidth. For more information, refer to the following FAQ: https://www.startech.com/faq/thunderbolt-3-port-capabilities.
Not all USB-C ports or devices are capable of supporting all of the features listed above, or all of the features at the maximum capabilities. If you require a specific USB-C feature, your USB host connection, cables, and device must all support the feature that you require. For more information about whether your components support specific USB-C features, refer to the information provided by the manufacturers.
Compliance and Safety
- If product has an exposed circuit board, do not touch the product under power.
- If Class 1 Laser Product. Laser radiation is present when the system is open.
- Wiring terminations should not be made with the product and/or electric lines under power.
- Product installation and/or mounting should be completed by a certified professional as per the local safety and building code guidelines.
- Cables (including power and charging cables) should be placed and routed to avoid creating electric, tripping or safety hazards.
* Product appearance and specifications are subject to change without notice.