Gigabit Ethernet Fiber Media Converter Card Module with Open SFP Slot
Convert and extend a Gigabit Ethernet connection over fiber, using the Gigabit SFP of your choice
Product ID: ET91000SFP2C
- Media Converter card module designed for installation into the ETCHS2U Rackmount Chassis
- Open SFP slot supports MSA-Compliant Single / Multi-Mode Gigabit SFPs at varying distances
- Advanced features include Link-loss forwarding, remote monitor status, two frame lengths
The ET91000SFP2C Open SFP Fiber Media Converter card module converts and extends a Gigabit Ethernet connection over fiber, using the Gigabit SFP of your choice.
A versatile solution for connecting an Ethernet (1000Base-T) network to remote network segments over a fiber backbone, the media converter features an open SFP slot that lets you choose the MSA-Compliant Gigabit SFP that best suits your fiber connection mode (single / multi-mode) and distance requirements (see our full line of for compatible solutions).
Designed for applications where multiple chassis-powered media converters are required, this Gigabit media converter ships as a card module that can easily be installed into the 20 Slot, 2U Rackmount Chassis (ETCHS2U). For standalone operation this Gigabit media converter can also be purchased as a standard Open SFP Media Converter (ET91000SFP2).
The fiber to Ethernet converter offers simple plug-and-play installation, while support for full-duplex operation and Jumbo Frame support provides efficient network operation.
Backed by a StarTech.com 2-year warranty and free lifetime technical support.
- Mount multiple media converter cards into a rack mount chassis
- Cost-effective way to extend/bridge networks using fiber cabling
- Provides connectivity to a user or network segment that is in an isolated area of a large complex or in another building altogether
- Perfect for secure connections required by government agencies where EMI is not acceptable
- Connect traffic control/monitoring systems at extreme distances to the main office
- Extend network connectivity to remote areas of stadiums, auditoriums or other venues
The StarTech.com Advantage
- Install the SFP of your choice with the open SFP slot
- Easily set up a full rack mount chassis of media converters with the card module design
- Ensure maximum up-time with link-loss forwarding and remote status monitoring
|Chipset ID||Marvell - 88E1111|
|Industry Standards||IEEE 802.3ab 1000BASE-T|
|IEEE 802.3z 1000BASE-LX|
|IEEE 802.3z 1000BASE-SX|
|Fiber Operating Mode||Half/Full-Duplex|
|Maximum Data Transfer Rate||1.25 Gbps|
|MTBF||65, 000 Hours|
|Local Unit Connectors||1 - RJ-45 Female|
|1 - SFP Slot Female|
|Special Notes / Requirements|
|Note||Fiber data transfer speeds and distances are dependent on the SFP used (sold separately)|
|Center Tip Polarity||Positive|
|Input Current||1 A|
|Input Voltage||12V DC|
|Power Consumption (In Watts)||< 8W|
|Power Source||Not Included (not required for standard applications)|
|Humidity||10~90% RH (Non-Condensing)|
|Operating Temperature||0°C to 60°C (32°F to 140°F)|
|Storage Temperature||-10°C to 70°C (14°F to 158°F)|
|Product Height||2.1 cm [0.8 in]|
|Product Length||14.2 cm [5.6 in]|
|Product Width||74 mm [2.9 in]|
|Weight of Product||110 g [3.9 oz]|
|Package Height||27 mm [1.1 in]|
|Package Length||18.5 cm [7.3 in]|
|Package Width||13 cm [5.1 in]|
|Shipping (Package) Weight||184 g [6.5 oz]|
|What's in the Box|
|Included in Package||1 - Fiber Media Converter|
|1 - Instruction Manual|
Convert and extend a Gigabit Ethernet connection over fiber using the Gigabit SFP of your choice
Convert and extend a Gigabit Ethernet connection up to 550 m / 1804 ft over Multi Mode SC fiber
Convert and extend a Gigabit Ethernet connection up to 24.8 miles/40 km over Single Mode SC fiber
Convert and extend a 10/100 Mbps Ethernet connection up to 12.4 miles/20 km over a single mode SC fiber cable
Convert and extend a Gigabit Ethernet connection up to 550 m / 1804 ft over Multimode LC fiber
1000 Mbps (1 Gbps) | Single Mode Fiber | LC | 20 km (12.4 mi) | Lifetime Warranty
1000 Mbps (1 Gbps) | Multi Mode Fiber | LC | 550 m (1804 ft) | Lifetime Warranty
1000 Mbps (1 Gbps) | Single & Multi Mode Fiber | LC | 10 km (6.2 mi) | Lifetime Warranty
1000 Mbps (1 Gbps) | Multi Mode Fiber | LC | 550 m (1804 ft) | Lifetime Warranty
Add an un-managed, 20-slot media converter chassis to your rack or cabinet
Frequently Asked Questions
Before You Buy
Different optical cables are needed for different applications. Before you select a cable to interconnect fiber devices, make sure that the following things match:
Mode: Single Mode or Multi Mode.
Wavelength: For example, 850 nm, 1310 nm, or 1550 nm.
Note: The above properties cannot be converted or changed by a cable.
When you select a cable, make sure that the cable ends (for example, LC, SC, ST, or MT) match the fiber media devices.
Simplex and duplex ends are available for most connector types. Simplex cables have the connectors separate, where duplex cables have the transmit (TX) and receive (RX) connectors joined together. StarTech.com fiber media devices are compatible with simplex and duplex connectors.
It does not matter which diameter or OM classification the cable uses, as long as it meets the mode requirement.
Fiber media converters can be used to convert a standard Ethernet connection to a standard fiber connection, or can be used to extend a copper Ethernet network. When you use fiber media converters to extend a copper Ethernet network, make sure that the same fiber standards are being used on either end of the fiber network.
Note: Terms like 1000BASE-LX, 100BASE, 1000BASE, and 10GBASE refer to how fast the data can transfer, with 100BASE being 100Mb/s, 1000BASE being 1000Mb/s or 1GB/s, and 10GBASE being 10Gb/s. FX, SX, LX, and SR refer to different fiber standards and use different wavelengths (among other things).
Fiber media converters come in different types for different applications. You need to consider the specifications for both network devices before you can select the correct fiber media converters.
A fiber media converter can be used to simply convert fiber to copper (for example, 100BASE-FX to 100BASE-TX), convert copper to fiber, or it can be used to extend a copper network over fiber optic cabling. If you use an application that uses fiber media converters, the copper and fiber industry standards must match.
The following is an example of a working fiber to copper setup:
- A network switch that has an LC fiber output using 1000BASE-LX is connected to an LC fiber cable that patches into the ET1000S40LC2, which is compatible with 1000BASE-LX/SX. The connected copper device is 1000BASE-T.
If the copper device in the above setup is 10/100 (100BASE-T), no copper link would be detected.
Note: Some media converters do not auto-negotiate copper or fiber standards, which limits the device to 10/100 or gigabit operation. For more information, check the specifications of the media converter.
When you use the fiber media converter in a network extender setup, it works best if you use the same media converter on either end. As long as the fiber standards match, you can use different connectors and the fiber network will be created between the units.
The following are some examples of available fiber connector types:
- Open SFP
The Open SFP units (referred to as Open on the Fiber Media Converter Drilldown) can use any mini-GBIC or SFP compatible fiber transceiver. The ET LC fiber media converters include LC SFPs, which makes the unit an open SFP, if required.
Compliance and Safety
- If product has an exposed circuit board, do not touch the product under power.
- If Class 1 Laser Product. Laser radiation is present when the system is open.
- Wiring terminations should not be made with the product and/or electric lines under power.
- Product installation and/or mounting should be completed by a certified professional as per the local safety and building code guidelines.
- Cables (including power and charging cables) should be placed and routed to avoid creating electric, tripping or safety hazards.
* Product appearance and specifications are subject to change without notice.