How do I set up the unit as a wireless router?
You can use the R300WN22OP5 as a wireless router, which allows a Local Area Network (LAN) to access the Internet.
To set up the R300WN22OP5 as a wireless router, you require the following:
- A modem from your Internet Service Provider (ISP) with an RJ-45 port.
- A computer with a wired Ethernet connection.
- Three Ethernet patch cables.
If the unit is not brand new or the settings were previously changed, you should complete a factory reset. For more information about how to complete a factory reset, refer to the following FAQ: https://www.startech.com/faq/networking_ap150wn1x1od_factory_reset.
To set up the R300WN22OP5 as a wireless router, complete the steps under the three headings below.
Connect the R300WN22OP5
- Remove the plastic panel from the bottom of the R300WN22OP5.
- Connect the provided power adapter to the POE injector.
- Connect an Ethernet patch cable to the POE injector and LAN 1 on the R300WN22OP5.
- Connect the Ethernet cable to the LAN port on the POE injector and to your computer system.
- Connect an Ethernet patch cable to the modem and the LAN 2 on the R300WN22OP5.
Wait 30 seconds for the unit to finish restarting before you make any configuration changes.
Set your computer to the same network as the R300WN22OP5
The default IP address of the Access Point is 192.168.1.200, so the computer needs to have an address of 192.168.1.xxx where xxx is a number between 0 and 255, but not 200 (e.g. 192.168.1.1) or any other IP address in use.
For more information about how to change the IP address on your computer, refer to the following FAQ for your operating system: How do I change my IP address in [your operating system]?
Configure and restart the R300WN22OP5
Make sure that your computer is on the 192.168.1.xxx network, and complete the following:
- Open a web browser (for example, Internet Explorer).
- In the address bar, type http://192.168.1.200.
- In the username and password fields, type admin.
- Set the Mode to AP Router.
- Click the Setup icon or click Change Mode.
- If required, change any of the settings.
- Set a Service Set Identifier (SSID). The SSID is the displayed name of the AP and is what you will connect to.
- To add wireless security (for example, WPA), beside Security Setting, click Setup. On the window that opens, change the encryption and add a password (or Pre-Shared Key) to your network.
- Click Setup to configure the settings for the WAN connection. You can get the necessary settings from your ISP. By default, the WAN Connection Type is set to DHCP (Auto Config), and this will work for most Cable modems. PPPoE is for ADSL modems, and you must get the Username and Password from your ISP.
- When you are done changing the settings, click Save & Restart.
- Set your computer back to the original IP configuration.
- Plug your existing wired network into the LAN port of the AP or POE injector.
Confirm that the unit is operating correctly
To check if the unit is operating correctly, do any of the following:
- Connect your wireless device(s) to the router SSID and try to access the Internet.
- Use the default IP address 192.168.1.200 to access the web configuration of the unit.