Hot Swap SATA/SAS Backplane RAID Bays – 3 Hard Drive Mobile Rack
Hot Swap up to three 3.5in SAS or SATA hard drives in and out of this removable backplane; features 3-in-2 design, that requires only two 5.25in drive bays
Product ID: SATSASBAY3BK
- Fully supports SAS revision 1/2 (3.0/6.0 Gbps) hard drives and controllers
- Support for SATA revision I/II/III (1.5/3.0/6.0 Gbps)
- Supports 2.5" and 3.5" form factor SAS or SATA hard drives
The SATSASBAY3BK SAS/SATA Backplane offers an easy-to-use and cost-effective SATA hot swap solution and features a sturdy and compact 3-in-2 design that lets you install up to three 2.5"/3.5" SATA or SAS hard drives into only two 5.25in bays.
With support for SATA/SAS HDD the mobile rack/backplane is fully compatible with RAID installations to ensure maximum performance and versatility for enhanced storage applications.
To maximize performance and utilize the full speed potential of your SATA III hard drives, this HDD Backplane supports SATA III for transfer speeds up to 6 Gbps when paired with a compatible controller.
The SATSASBAY3BK is backed by a StarTech.com 2-year warranty and free lifetime technical support.
The StarTech.com Advantage
- Full support for both SAS and SATA drives enables the right type of drive for any application to be used
- Aluminum construction with an 80mm cooling fan ensures optimal heat dissipation for all of the drives
- Built-in audible warnings and LED status indicators keep you aware of the status of the drives at all time
- Maximize performance, with file transfer speeds up to 6Gbps when paired with SATA III HDD and controller
Add additional hot-swap bays to a server or workstation computer
Replace or upgrade old IDE or SATA backplanes with a SAS/SATA backplane
Backup systems where physically removing the backed up data from the system is required
Be able to replace/remove individual drives from a storage array with minimal or no system down time
|Compatible Drive Types||SAS & SATA|
|Drive Size||2.5in & 3.5in|
|Fans||1 - 80 mm|
|Number of Drives||3|
|Regulatory Approvals||UL94 V-0 Rated|
|Hot Swap Capability||Yes|
|Drive Connectors||3 - SATA Data & Power Combo (7+15 pin) Receptacle|
|Host Connectors||1 - SATA (7 pin, Data) Plug|
|2 - LP4 (4 pin, Molex Large Drive Power) Male|
|2 - SATA Data & Power Combo (7+15 pin) Plug|
|Special Notes / Requirements|
|Note||If using SFF-8484 SAS controller for SAS Hard Drives, use StarTech.com SAS cable SAS84S450|
|System and Cable Requirements||Two free 5.25" drive bays|
|3 x Available SAS or SATA ports|
|LED Indicators||1 - Over Heating Alarm (Flashing Red - Temperature Warring, Reset sensor and alarm)|
|3 - Hard Drive Indicator (Green - Power, Orange/Red Blinking - Activity)|
|Humidity||90% RH at 30°C|
|Operating Temperature||0°C to 50°C (32°F to 122°F)|
|Storage Temperature||-15°C to 75°C (-59°F to 167°F)|
|Enclosure Type||Aluminum and Steel|
|Product Height||3.4 in [86 mm]|
|Product Length||8 in [202 mm]|
|Product Weight||2.7 lb [1.2 kg]|
|Product Width||5.7 in [146 mm]|
|Shipping (Package) Weight||3.2 lb [1.4 kg]|
|What's in the Box|
|Included in Package||1 - SAS/SATA Backplane|
|1 - Package of assemble screws|
|1 - Instruction Manual|
Hot swap up to four 3.5in SATA hard drives in seconds
Hot-swap any 3.5in SATA hard drive easily from any computer with a 5.25in bay
Easy, trayless removal and insertion of dual 2.5in SATA hard drives from single 3.5in bay
SATA hard drive cable, with latching SATA connectors, for securely fastened hard drive installations.
This high quality SATA cable is designed for connecting SATA drives even in tight spaces.
Drivers & Downloads
Frequently Asked Questions
Before You Buy
Although mobile racks can enable a Serial Attached SCSI (SAS) drive to connect using a standard Serial ATA (SATA) connector, the hard drive controller must be SAS compatible to properly support SAS drives. SAS controllers can work with SAS and SATA drives, but most SAS drives will only work with a SAS controller.
For further information about SAS and SATA interoperability, refer to the following FAQ: http://www.startech.com/faq/hard_drive_controllers_sas_drive_compatibility.
When you troubleshoot issues with a hard drive rack, there are some quick tests that you can complete to rule out potential problems. You can test to make sure that the following components are working correctly and are not the source of the issue:
- SATA and SAS cables
- Hard drives
- Hard drive rack
To test your setup components, try the following:
- Use the cables, hard drives, and hard drive rack in another setup to see if the problem is with the components or the setup.
- Use a different cable, hard drive, and hard drive rack in your setup to see if the problem persists. Ideally, you should test a component that you know works in another setup.
When you test the hard drive and hard drive rack, it is recommended that you do the following:
- To check Disk Management, press the Windows key + R, type diskmgmt.msc, and press Enter. Check to see if your hard drive is listed.
- If the hard drive is listed with unallocated space, it needs to be formatted. Right-click unallocated and click New Simple Volume. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the reformatting.
Note: Formatting a hard drive erases all of the data on it. Make sure that you back up all of your data before you reformat the hard drive.
- If the hard drive is listed as healthy but does not have a drive letter assigned to it, for example, C:, right-click healthy and click Change Drive Letter and Paths. Click Add, assign a drive letter, and click OK.
Note: A formatted hard drive will not show up in Computer or My Computer until it has a drive letter assigned to it.
* Product appearance and specifications are subject to change without notice.