I want to move the hard drive with my operating system installed to my StarTech.com hard drive controller. What do I do?
In order to use a hard drive plugged into a hard drive controller card as your operating system, you need to install the operating system onto the hard drive while it is plugged into the expansion card. To do this, complete the following:
Note: Not all hard drive controller cards have drivers that allow you to install the operating system onto the hard drive. All of the hard drive controllers that display this FAQ include this capability.
Before you begin, consult the documentation that came with the motherboard to make sure that the motherboard or BIOS supports booting from an expansion card.
- Back up any data on the hard drive.
- Make a copy of the drivers from the website onto a floppy disc, CD, DVD, or USB flash drive. The drivers that you download depends on the operating system that you want to install.
- Install the hard drive controller card onto your motherboard.
- Plug the hard drive into the controller card.
- Turn on your computer and open the operating system install wizard.
- Before you select the hard drive that you want to install the operating system onto, select the option to install third-party drivers.
- Point the driver installer to the floppy disc, CD, DVD, or USB flash drive.
- Install the drivers.
- Select the hard drive on the hard drive controller card as the location where you want to install the operating system.
- Complete the on-screen instructions to finish installing the operating system.