4-Bay Mobile Rack Backplane for 2.5in SATA/SAS Drives
Hot swap with ease by installing four SSDs/HDDs into one 5.25in bay
Product ID: SATSASBP425
Now it’s easy to drive share and enhance the storage capabilities of your server or PC. This mobile rack backplane lets you install four 2.5in SATA or SAS solid-state or hard disk drives into a single 5.25in bay and quickly hot swap them between systems. It’s ideal for systems integrators and administrators who are looking for flexible management of their data storage.
Designed for durability and trouble-free use
The mobile rack backplane is engineered to protect your valuable data and provide reliable performance. The aluminum housing is designed for enhanced heat dissipation, while two 40mm fans improve air flow to minimize heat build-up and ensure optimum operating temperature.
The backplane can be mounted either vertically or horizontally, for error-free tray insertion and maximum compatibility with servers or desktop computers. You can lock the removable steel trays in place, providing an enhanced level of drive protection. The Non-Scratch SATA (NSS) connector provides a high 50,000+ insertion rating, your assurance of long-lasting performance of both the drives and the bay.
Convenient, interchangeable drive trays
Many fast-paced work environments require drives to be removed regularly. Hot swap between systems quickly, without shutting down, with the convenient backplane.
The included drive trays are interchangeable, working with both the 4-bay backplane and the single-bay backplane (SATSASBP125) so you can hot swap between systems for easy file access.
Compatible with a wide range of drives
Designed for versatile use, the backplane supports an extensive range of both SATA or SAS based HDDs and SSDs, from 5 to 15mm in height.
To maximize the performance of your drives, the mobile rack supports SAS II and SATA III performance for transfer speeds up to 6 Gbps when paired with a compatible controller. The backplane also works with your preferred RAID controller or Hyper Duo™ controller to produce a high-performance or redundant storage solution.
The SATSASBP425 backplane is backed by a StarTech.com 2-year warranty and free lifetime technical support.
- Systems integrators and administrators looking for flexible storage management
- Build your incremental or off-site storage back-up plan by attaching hot-swappable drives to your server or computer
- Fast-paced work environments where drives need to be replaced or removed regularly
The StarTech.com Advantage
- Supports a wide range of 2.5in SAS or SATA HDD/SSDs from 5-15 mm
- High-quality metal housing maximizes heat dissipation
- Two 40 mm fans help to ensure optimum operating temperature
- Maximize performance through SAS II and SATA III, with file transfer speeds of up to 6Gbps
Ingram Micro Australia
|Compatible Drive Types||SAS & SATA|
|Fan Bearing Type||Sleeve Bearing|
|Fans||2 - 40 mm|
|Front Door Key Lock||Yes|
|Number of 2.5 inch bays||4|
|Number of Drives||4|
|Supported Drive Height(s)||5mm|
|Hot Swap Capability||Yes|
|Max Drive Capacity||Tested with hard drives up to 2TB at 7200 RPM|
|Maximum Data Transfer Rate||6 Gbps|
|Noise Level||20 dBA|
|Type and Rate||SATA III (6 Gbps)|
|Drive Connectors||4 - SATA Data & Power Combo (7+15 pin) Receptacle|
|Host Connectors||4 - SATA (7 pin, Data) Receptacle|
|Other Interface(s)||1 - LP4 (4 pin; Large Drive Power) Female|
|OS Compatibility||OS independent; No software or drivers required|
|Special Notes / Requirements|
|Note||Flammability rating: UL94 - V0|
|LED Indicators||4 - Drive power and activity LED|
|1 - Fan activity|
|Operating Temperature||0°C to 55°C (23°F to 95°F)|
|Storage Temperature||-20°C to 55°C (-4°F to 131°F)|
|Material||Aluminum and Steel|
|Max Drive Height||0.6 in [15 mm]|
|Product Height||1.7 in [4.2 cm]|
|Product Length||6 in [15.2 cm]|
|Product Width||5.7 in [14.6 cm]|
|Weight of Product||26.8 oz [760 g]|
|Package Height||3.1 in [80 mm]|
|Package Length||8.5 in [21.6 cm]|
|Package Width||7.6 in [19.4 cm]|
|Shipping (Package) Weight||2.3 lb [1 kg]|
|What's in the Box|
|Included in Package||1 - 4-bay SATA/SAS hard drive backplane|
|2 - drive tray keys|
|4 - 2.5" drive trays|
|4 - 18" SATA data cables|
|2 - SATA to Molex power adapters|
|16 - drive mounting screws|
|8 - backplane mounting screws|
|1 - quick start guide|
Easy, trayless removal and insertion of dual 2.5in SATA hard drives from single 3.5in bay
Turn a 2.5in SATA drive into a front bay mounted removable HDD backup solution
Use an available expansion card slot to install a hot swappable 2.5in hard drive
Secure latching SATA cable designed for new system boards and SATA hard drives
SATA hard drive cable, with latching SATA connectors, for securely fastened hard drive installations.
Connect latching SATA drives while helping to ensure optimal airflow throughout a desktop or server case
Easily connect and hot swap a SSD or HDD from a 3.5in bay
Exchange drives with ease with this extra drive tray for SATSASBP425 and SATSASBP125 series backplanes
Add three extra SATA power outlets to your Power Supply
Add an extra SATA power outlet to your Power Supply
Add an extra SATA power outlet to your PC Power Supply
Power an LP4 device from a SATA Power connection on your computer power supply
Connect an IDE hard drive to a Serial ATA power connector
Frequently Asked Questions
Before You Buy
Although mobile racks can enable a Serial Attached SCSI (SAS) drive to connect using a standard Serial ATA (SATA) connector, the hard drive controller must be SAS compatible to properly support SAS drives. SAS controllers can work with SAS and SATA drives, but most SAS drives will only work with a SAS controller.
For further information about SAS and SATA interoperability, refer to the following FAQ: http://www.startech.com/faq/hard_drive_controllers_sas_drive_compatibility.
When you troubleshoot issues with a hard drive rack, there are some quick tests that you can complete to rule out potential problems. You can test to make sure that the following components are working correctly and are not the source of the issue:
- SATA and SAS cables
- Hard drives
- Hard drive rack
To test your setup components, try the following:
- Use the cables, hard drives, and hard drive rack in another setup to see if the problem is with the components or the setup.
- Use a different cable, hard drive, and hard drive rack in your setup to see if the problem persists. Ideally, you should test a component that you know works in another setup.
When you test the hard drive and hard drive rack, it is recommended that you do the following:
- To check Disk Management, press the Windows key + R, type diskmgmt.msc, and press Enter. Check to see if your hard drive is listed.
- If the hard drive is listed with unallocated space, it needs to be formatted. Right-click unallocated and click New Simple Volume. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the reformatting.
Note: Formatting a hard drive erases all of the data on it. Make sure that you back up all of your data before you reformat the hard drive.
- If the hard drive is listed as healthy but does not have a drive letter assigned to it, for example, C:, right-click healthy and click Change Drive Letter and Paths. Click Add, assign a drive letter, and click OK.
Note: A formatted hard drive will not show up in Computer or My Computer until it has a drive letter assigned to it.
Compliance and Safety
- If product has an exposed circuit board, do not touch the product under power.
- If Class 1 Laser Product. Laser radiation is present when the system is open.
- Wiring terminations should not be made with the product and/or electric lines under power.
- Product installation and/or mounting should be completed by a certified professional as per the local safety and building code guidelines.
- Cables (including power and charging cables) should be placed and routed to avoid creating electric, tripping or safety hazards.
* Product appearance and specifications are subject to change without notice.